Temporary Residence > Working After Graduation

Working After Graduation

A foreign national from any country needs a Student Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and a Study Permit to study in Canada. Any study program longer than six months would require a Study Permit. A foreign national needs a Student Visa or an ETA to enter Canada, while a Study Permit is required to stay and be authorized to study in a Canadian educational institution (Designated Learning Institution), such as a school, college, university, etc. A Study Permit is usually valid for the length of a study program, plus an extra three months to prepare to leave Canada or apply for an extension. Some categories of persons do not need a Study Permit: minor children in Canada, family or staff of foreign representatives, members of foreign armed forces, and registered Indians in Canada.

What We Do

Post-graduation Work Permit Service Package

  1. Assess your eligibility to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
  2. Complete the application forms.
  3. Guide regarding the information and supporting documents required for the preparation of a study permit application.
  4. Prepare a submission letter, addressed to the appropriate IRCC Visa Office, outlining the client’s eligibility and supporting the client’s candidacy for a study permit.
  5. Submit the application package to the appropriate IRCC Visa Office via IRCC Portal for authorized paid representatives.
  6. Handle all correspondence with IRCC on the client’s behalf in respect to the application.

In addition to the above, we are tech savvy. We do have a Client Portal that we use to work on the clients’ files. Our Clients love it because it allows them to upload documents, make revisions, and track the progress at any time. It is encrypted and protects your confidentiality. We consult over the phone, Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, etc. because we understand the time difference and long distance of some clients overseas. We are multilingual; fluent in Russian and Ukrainian.

Work After Graduation

Studying in Canada is one of the paths to becoming a permanent resident in that beautiful country.

International students can work after studying in Canada.  Canada schools’ graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) when they graduate from the Canadian school. PGWP allows graduates to work for any employer in Canada.

Thus, the Canadian education and gained in Canada work experience will help you to meet the criteria for a permanent residence. In particular, both Canadian education and work experience give a candidate points that increase the CRS score in the Express Entry system.

PGWP Requirements

IRCC will issue a PGWP to international students who meet certain requirements:

– be 18 or older

studied in Canada: full-time, continuously, at least 8-month

completed and passed the study program requirements

graduated from eligible DLI institution that is eligible for PGWP

– apply for a work permit within 90 days

– have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit

Length of PGWP

Work permits issued under the PGWP may be valid for up to 3 years. Regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks should be included in the time accumulated toward the length of the PGWP.


A graduate of a 4-year study program could get a 3-year post-graduate work permit. However, if the duration of the program of study is 2 years or longer as confirmed by the DLI, the duration of the PGWP should be 3 years. If the duration of the program of study is at least 8 months but less than 2 years, the duration of the work permit should coincide with that of the program of study as confirmed by the DLI in the written confirmation of program completion.

Therefore, in some cases, it is worth taking a 2-year study program to have more time under a 3-year PGWP to find a job, gain valuable Canadian work experience, and immigrate under the federal or provincial immigration program if this is your final goal.

PGWP as a Path to Canadian Permanent Residence

Amount of work experience gained on a PGWP is important and determinative in two ways.

Firstly, it determines an immigration program you might be eligible for. Secondly, how many points you can get to increase your  CRS score. Finally, IRCC invites candidates to apply for permanent residence based on their CRS score.

Thus, the higher is your CRS score the higher your chances to become a permeant resident of Canada.

Working in Canada on a PGWP makes you eligible to apply for a permanent residence under a number of immigration programs once you gain:

12 months – Canadian Experience Class

1 continuous year – Federal Skilled Workers Program

2 years – Federal Skilled Trades

varies – Provincial Nominee Program

not required but gives you extra points – Atlantic Immigrant Program

This table shows different pathways to permanent residence for international students working on a post-graduation work permit.

Points For Canadian Work Experience Gained On PGWP

Canadian work experience that you have an opportunity to gain while on a PGWP adds maximum 80 points to your CRS score.

As PGWP could be issue for up to maximum 3 years, 64 points is the maximum that one can get on a PGWP.

Moreover, Canadian work experience coupled with foreign work experience can add maximum 50 points to your CRS score.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019