Temporary Residence > Visit Your Children or Grandchildren

Visit Your Children or Grandchildren

Only a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada can apply for a Super Visa. The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa for a period up to 10 years. With the Super Visa, eligible parents/grandparents can visit their children/grandchildren and their families in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

Currently, most visitors can be in Canada for up to six months when they first enter. Those who want to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee. But with the Super Visa for parents, grandparents and eligible parents can visit family in Canada for up to two years with no need to renew their status. That is a great way to save time and to visit your children or grandchildren more often.

The Super Visa for parents is a multi-entry visa that allows multiple entries for up to a 10-year period. The key difference is that Super Visa in Canada allows a person to stay for up to two years on first entry into Canada. While a visa for the same amount of time and multiple entries would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

There are also specific Super Visa requirements that you must meet to be able to apply for it.

To be eligible, you must be:

  • The parent or grandparent of a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen.
  • Allowed to enter the country and meet certain other conditions.
  • Aware that you cannot include dependants in this application.

During Super Visa processing time, immigration officers consider a number of things before they make a decision if you can or cannot come to Canada. The main thing is that you must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit. Also, they will look at the following things when you submit your application:

  • the purpose of your visit.
  • your ties to your home country.
  • an invitation from a Canadian host.
  • your family and finances.
  • the overall economic and political stability of your home country.

If you want to apply for Visitor Visa for parents in Canada, you are obliged to:

  • prove that your child or grandchild in Canada have at least a minimum income threshold.
  • provide a written statement from that child or grandchild that ensures your financial support.
  • have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and
  • have an immigration health check examination.

NOTE: Start applying for a visa only when you prepare all the documents and also explore your opportunities before deciding what is suitable for you.

LEROM Immigration is happy to help you if you have additional questions about how to apply for Super Visa for parents.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019