Inadmissibility > TPR


A foreign national who committed or has been convicted of a crime in any country of the world is deemed criminally inadmissible to Canada.

TRP – is a temporary resident permit that lets you stay in or enter Canada. You can get it if it has been less than five years since the end of your sentence or you have convincing reasons to be in Canada.

If you have a convincing reason to come to Canada, but you are inadmissible, you may qualify for a temporary resident permit. A border or immigration services officer will make a decision if your stay or enter Canada outweighs the safety or health risks to Canadian society.

Even if the basis for your inadmissibility seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is legitimate.

If you have justified circumstances, but are inadmissible, authorities may issue you with a temporary resident permit. To be suitable for this, your need to stay or enter Canada must outweigh the safety or health risks to Canadian society. The border services or an immigration officer determine this. Your reason to stay or come to the country must be strongly justified, even if it seems minor.

There is no guarantee of a temporary resident permit. Also, you will have to pay a processing fee, which is not refundable. TRP is usually valid for the length of your visit, and you must leave Canada by the expiry date or get a new one before the current one expires.

NOTE: Please be aware that an officer may cancel this permit at any time.

How to apply

1.              eTA required

If you are a resident of an eTA-required country and authorities refuse you in an eTA, you may receive a temporary resident permit depending on the circumstances and nature of the inadmissibility.  Also, Canada will take into consideration the continuing rationale for travel. The visa office that is in charge of your region or country may have its own application form for temporary resident permits. You should check with the visa office to learn about its specific application procedures.

2.              Visa-required

You should apply for a temporary resident visa along with supporting documents. You need them to clarify why you are inadmissible and why it may be reasonable for you to enter Canada.

Note: You may need to attend a special interview where an officer can assess your application.

3.              Fees

You must pay a fee to cover the cost of processing your application for a temporary resident permit. It is not refundable if the permit is refused.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment
January 2019

Facebook Comments