Permanent Residence > Live-in Caregiver Program

Live-in Caregiver Program

If a foreign national has two years of Canadian work experience in the four years before applying as a Live-in Caregiver or Live-out Caregiver (i.e., Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathways), this person may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Caregiver Program.

One of the ways you can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada is through the Live-in Caregiver Program. But you must meet the program requirements:

Work experience

Have appropriate work experience (3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment or 24 months of authorized full-time live-in employment within four years of your date of arrival). Also, when calculating your hours, you can include up to 390 overtime hours.

NOTE: Your work experience under the Live-in Caregiver Program may also give you an opportunity to submit a live in caregiver application for permanent residence through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs or Caring for Children pathway.

You cannot include any period of unemployment or any extended time outside of Canada when calculating your work experience. Also, any period you work for your employer outside Canada (family vacation) or any period you work as a caregiver while living outside of your employer’s home in Canada. If you have work experience as a caregiver who lives outside the employer’s home, you must apply for permanent residence through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs or Caring for Children pathway.

Reasons that can affect your application

  1. You, your common-law partner or your spouse, or any of your family members have a serious medical problem, a criminal record or pose a security risk.
  2. You didn’t give honest information to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada

Reasons that can’t affect your application

  1. Upgrading your skills in Canada.
  2. Material status.
  3. Volunteer work.
  4. The number of family members you have in your home country.

Applying for your family

In your application for permanent resident status, you must list all your family members. Your family members can have criminal, medical and security checks when you apply, even if they don’t want to immigrate to Canada with you. You can not sponsor family members who aren’t in your application and were not checked in future.

You and your family members that are listed in your application can receive permanent resident status at the same time. Also, you have an option to sponsor any of your family members in the future as long as they meet the requirements.

Applying for an open work permit

You and your family members that are in your application can apply for an open work permit at the same time that you apply for permanent residency. After receiving your open work permit, you can obtain any job you like.

Quebec Permanent residence

If you receive a work permit under the Live-in Caregiver Program and are working in Quebec, the province will also assess your application. You should know that the province will look for some supplementary information, like your knowledge of French language.

Leaving Canada

If you wish to leave Canada permanently or for vacation and your permanent residence application is being processed, you may need to reapply for a temporary resident visa before returning. You need to submit an application for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada before traveling.

If your work permit has expired, or if you leave Canada for more than one year, you will have to reapply to the Visa Application Centre or the overseas visa office to return to Canada.

You should know that there no restrictions on leaving the program and returning permanently to your home country at any time. However, you need to give adequate notice to your employer before returning there.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019