Temporary Residence > International Experience Canada

International Experience Canada

Most foreign nationals need an open or employer-specific Work Permit to work in Canada. To work means to enter a Canadian labour market, not simply conducting international business activities for the remuneration paid from a source outside Canada. In general terms, Canadian economic and social development policy prescribes that a foreign national can be authorized to work in Canada only if the Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are not qualified to perform the job offered.

International Experience Canada or IEC gives an opportunity to young people to work and travel in Canada. You can enjoy the beauty of Canadian nature and architecture along with getting valuable work experience. IEC is a great way for youth to better their skills, develop their outlook and have a great experience in Canada.

If you want to participate in the international experience Canada program:

  • Your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to be eligible for an IEC work permit, or
  • You may be able to use a Recognized Organization.
  • You can choose from up to three travel and work experiences. That depends on the country that you are from. So, there are such types of international experience in Canada:

Working Holiday

Pay for your vacation with money that you’ll earn on temporary work in Canada. You need an open work permit for IEC Working Holiday type of work. Also, you may need Canada Working Holiday visa.

You are suitable for such type of work if you:

  • Don’t have an employment offer yet.
  • Want to work in more than one place.
  • Want to work for more than one employer in Canada.
  • Would like to earn some money for traveling.

Young Professionals

You have a chance to gain Canadian professional work experience to be a tough competition in a global economy field. For this type of work, you need an employer-specific work permit.

This category is great if you have an employment offer in Canada that contributes to the development of your profession. Note that you’ll work for the same employer in one place during your stay in Canada

International Co-op Internship

With this IEC, you can get priceless work experience abroad that is related to your field of study. For this type of work, you will also need an employer-specific work permit.

You are eligible for this category if:

  • You’re a student of a post-secondary establishment.
  • You have a job offer for an internship or work placement in Canada.
  • You need to do this work internship or placement to complete the pathway to your degree.

NOTE: That you’ll work for the same employer in the same place during your stay in the country.

Now you know what opportunities are available to work and travel as a young person in Canada. Don’t waste your time and take the opportunity to have a great time and experience abroad.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019