A foreign national who gained at least two years of work experience in the past five years as a self-employed in cultural activities, for athletics, or through managing a farm may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Self-Employed Persons Program.
Cultural activities include jobs that are generally considered to be a part of Canada’s cultural and artistic fields. For example:
- Creative and performing artists.
- Writers and authors.
- Sculptors and other visual artists.
- Creative designers.
- Technical support and other jobs in motion pictures sphere and
Five occupations in culture, art, sport, and recreation
Major Group 51
Professional occupations in art and culture
– 511 Librarians, archivists, conservators and curators
- 5111 Librarians
- 5112 Conservators and curators
- 5113 Archivists
– 512 Writing, translating and related communications professionals
- 5121 Authors and writers
- 5122 Editors
- 5123 Journalists
- 5125 Translators, terminologists, and interpreters
– 513 Creative and performing artists
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5132 Conductors, composers, and arrangers
- 5133 Musicians and singers
- 5134 Dancers
- 5135 Actors and comedians
- 5136 Painters, sculptors, and other visual artists
Major Group 52
Technical occupations in art, culture, recreation, and sport
– 521 Technical occupations in libraries, public archives, museums and art galleries
- 5211 Library and public archive technicians
- 5212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
– 522 Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5221 Photographers
- 5222 Film and video camera operators
- 5223 Graphic arts technicians
- 5224 Broadcast technicians
- 5225 Audio and video recording technicians
- 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
– 523 Announcers and other performers, n.e.c.
- 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters
- 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.
– 524 Creative designers and craftspersons
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 5242 Interior designers and interior decorators
- 5243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
- 5244 Artisans and craftspersons
- 5245 Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products
– 525 Athletes, coaches, referees and related occupations
- 5251 Athletes
- 5252 Coaches
- 5253 Sports officials and referees
- 5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport, and fitness