Permanent Residence > Caring for People with High Medical Needs

Caring for People with High Medical Needs

If a foreign national has two years of Canadian work experience in the four years before applying as a Live-in Caregiver or Live-out Caregiver (i.e., Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathways), this person may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Caregiver Program.

The Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program has special requirements that you must meet if you want to apply for it. Note that you must plan to live outside Quebec. Here are the main program’s criteria:

Work experience

Before submitting an application, you must have no less than 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the last four years (48 months).

Your experience must be in one of the Canadian National Occupational Classification jobs:

  • Registered nurses and licensed practical nurses (includes psychiatric nurses).
  • Orderlies, nurse aides, and patient service associates.
  • Home support workers and associated occupations. Note that housekeepers aren’t eligible.

If you worked in Canada as a registered psychiatric nurse, as a licensed practical nurse, or as a registered nurse you must:

  • Demonstrate your practice license in Canada.
  • Show that you have registration in the regulatory body, according to your territory or province requirements at the time you apply.

Employment requirements

You must show that you meet the criteria of your work experience job. This includes training, education or other qualifications according to the job description in the NOC.

Language ability

You must provide proof of your ability in French or English (speaking, listening, reading and writing), take a language test from an approved agency and meet minimum language levels of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) for your job. You must have minimum CLB 7 in either English or French if you got your work experience in Canada as a registered nurse or psychiatric nurse, and CLB 5 for any other eligible job.

Don’t forget to include the original language test results with your application that are not older than two years old.


You must have a Canadian post-secondary diploma, degree or certificate of at least one year or a foreign diploma, degree or certificate and an original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

You must demonstrate that you meet the minimum education level when you submit an application. Otherwise, your application won’t be processed and will be returned to you.


You must be admissible in Canada to go under The Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program. You can be inadmissible if you are involved in human rights violations, criminal activity or organized crime. Besides, you can also be not admissible for health, security or financial reasons.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019