Permanent Residence > Caring for Children

Caring for Children

If a foreign national has two years of Canadian work experience in the four years before applying as a Live-in Caregiver or Live-out Caregiver (i.e., Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathways), this person may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Caregiver Program.

If you want to get permanent residency under the Caring for Children Program, you must meet all its requirements.  Also, you must plan to live outside Quebec. Here is the list of main requirements:

Work experience

You must have no less than 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child caregiver in the four years (48 months) before you submit an application. Full-time work means no less than 30 hours of paid work per week.

You can have employment breaks (for example, parental leave or sick leave). Note that any work experience you had while you were studying full-time doesn’t count.

Your work must match the description of home childcare provider in Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC). If it doesn’t match, your application will be refused. You should be aware that foster parents aren’t eligible. Also, you must prove that you performed most of the main duties that are in the job description.

Language ability

To apply under the Caring for Children Program, you must prove your knowledge in English or French for four activities (speaking, listening, reading and writing). You must take an approved language test and meet the minimum language levels of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5. Also, you need to include the original language test results with your application. They can’t be more than two years old.


You must have a Canadian post-secondary diploma, degree or certificate of at least one year or a foreign diploma, degree or certificate and an original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

You must show that you meet the minimum education level when you submit an application. Otherwise, your application will be sent back to you.


Some people are inadmissible and can’t enter or stay in Canada. Many things can make a person inadmissible, like human rights violations, criminal activity or organized crime. You can also be not admissible for health, security or financial reasons.

If you are inadmissible to Canada, you can’t go under this program.

Home child care providers

This is a category of people that care for children on a short-term or ongoing basis. They care for the social and physical development and well-being of children. Also, they help out parents with child care and may assist with household duties. They can provide care in the children’s homes or in their own homes.

Home child care providers can also be named as babysitters, child care providers – private home, child care live – in caregivers, nannies, parent’s helpers.

Inclusion(s) are foster parents, babysitters – fitness center and shopping center.

Main duties include:

  • Care and supervise children in own or employer’s residence
  • Bathe, feed and dress children and infants
  • Prepare formulas and change diapers for infants
  • Perform different housekeeping duties
  • Keep a healthy and safe environment in the home
  • Teach children personal hygiene
  • Support children’s social development
  • Provide age-appropriate educational training through special activities such as crafts, games, outings, and reading
  • Take children to and from appointments and school

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019