Permanent Residence > AIP Eligible Applicants

AIP Eligible Applicants

The four Atlantic Provinces: New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, entered into a partnership with the Government of Canada.

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot contains three programs for skilled workers and international student graduates:

  • Atlantic International Graduate Program
  • Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program
  • Atlantic High-Skilled Program

The education, work experience, and job offer you need will depend on whether you are applying as an international student graduate or a worker. All the other requirements are the same for both categories of applicants.



You must have:

  • A Canadian secondary or post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, or
  • A foreign diploma, certificate or degree or apprenticeship or trade education credential. You will require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to ensure that it’s valid and equal to a Canadian credential.

The report must show that your education is equal to a fulfilled Canadian secondary or post-secondary diploma, certificate, or degree. Your ECA must be not older than five years when you apply.

International graduates

You must have:

  • Studied full-time for at least two years in Canada.
  • A minimum two-year diploma, degree, certificate, or apprenticeship or trade credential from a recognized publicly-funded institution in an Atlantic province.
  • Lived in an Atlantic province for no less than 16 months in the last two years before graduation.
  • Graduated in the last 12 months when you submit your application.
  • Had the visa or permit required to work, train or study in Canada.

Your training or study program cannot be:

  • Distance learning program for more than half the length of the program,
  • French or English second language courses for more than half of the program.

Note that you can’t apply if you had a fellowship or scholarship requiring you to return to your home country after graduation.

Work experience

International graduates

To immigrate as an international graduate under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot, you don’t need any work experience.


You must have work experience of at least one year (30 hours per week or 1,560 hours total) within the last three years. It can either be full-time or part-time, as long as it is 1,560 hours in total.

The work must be:

  • Paid (unpaid internships or volunteering don’t count).
  • In one occupation (but can be with different employers).

Workers can apply as either intermediate-skilled workers or high-skilled workers. Intermediate-skilled workers must have work experience at NOC skill level C, and high-skilled workers must have NOC skill type/level 0, A, or B work experience.  Note that you can gain the experience from inside or outside Canada.

Job offer

You are obliged to have a job offer that is:

  • From a designated employer in an Atlantic province (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or Prince Edward Island).
  • Non-seasonal.
  • Full-time (no less than 30 paid hours per week).

The duration of the job offer and National Occupational Classification (NOC) depends on your application.

  1. International graduatesmust:
  • be skill type/level 0, A, B, or C
  • last no less than one year from the date of getting permanent residence
  1. Intermediate-skilledworkers must be:
  • skill type/level 0, A, B, or C
  • permanent
  1. High-skilled workersmust:
  • be skill type/level 0, A, or B
  • last no less than one year from the date of getting permanent residence

Your new job offer doesn’t need to be in the same occupation as your previous work experience. However, you need to meet employment requirements for the offered job. Besides, the employer doesn’t need a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).


You are obliged to:

  • Take a standard language test that determines whether you meet the level for listening, speaking, writing and reading, and
  • Have at least a level four (4) in the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens in French or the Canadian Language Benchmarks in English

Note that your results must be less than two years old when you apply.

Proof of funds

You will need to provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after immigration. But you don’t need to show proof if you are already working and living in Canada with a valid work permit.

Get in Touch

Find us at the office

128-1075 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON, M1P 5C3

Give us a ring

Olena Levtsun
+1 (647) 695-5256
Mon – Fri, 8:00-18:00

Contact Us

Book an Appointment

April 2019